Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Just Saying


This is how the cutting board on the kitchen counter looks. No joke.

Today I am grateful for:

Access to medicine to help heal my family
Access to health care to help heal my family
Access to health insurance coverage to pay for health care and medicine to help heal my family

My husband works for a company that pays for our health insurance. So today I am also grateful for the health of my husband which allows him to work - which is a little bit scary.

The average cost to the uninsured for addressing and treating the recent illness in our family would have been approximately $675.

Cost breakdown according to my crude research (google searches):

Four urgent care visits - $400
Three ten-day Amoxicillin prescriptions - $150
One Predisolone prescription - $45
Sixty-count liquid Albuterol nebulizer treatments - $50
One nebulizer - $30

If we had to pay this $675 out of pocket we would be defaulting on our mortgage. If we had mediocre coverage that paid, say half of this $675 we would be getting our groceries at Second Harvest. Sure, we don't have to live in a 1700 square foot home. And there's no shame in shopping at Second Harvest; I'm proud but not that kind of proud. But, I don't know of any apartments big enough for our family that cost a lot less than our mortgage and I'm not sure Second Harvest was intended for use by the middle class. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment