Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sam's Future As a Mommy

As I mentioned in a previous post, the boys and I often chat about my experience of having been pregnant with each of them, as well as the stories of their births and the first few days of their lives.  They've always known they were born via C-section, but today they were particularly concerned with the surgical procedure.  They had questions.

"Where is the hole the doctor cut?"
"How did it close?"
"Did it hurt?"
"How could it not hurt?"
"How could you be awake and not feel it hurting?"

I explained the spinal block; where the shot goes, how it works to numb the body but allow one to stay awake.  Then I explained stitches, or, in my case, staples.  Sammy became quite agitated at this point.  The blood drained from his face and he got teary-eyed.  I thought he was worried about me, so I reassured him that it did not hurt and that the staples are, in fact, gone.  It turns out he was scared for himself because, in his words

"I want to be a mommy when I grow up and I don't want anybody to staple my tummy".

Sam has been expressing his desire to be a mommy when he grows up for a good couple of years now.  Charlie (ever the logical realist) keeps trying to "school" Sam in the impossibility of this.  Sam (ever the wanderer and keeper of his very own reality) continues to make plans for future mommy-hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment